Monday, March 4, 2013

Variants and Pricing of Black Dog in Gurgaon



Gurgaon has no dearth of wine shops. Post 7 pm you may not get milk for kids, but booze is anytime available. So I decided to walk up to nearby shop (available within 500mtrs from my home) to both find out the prices and get a bottle each of all the Black Dog variants so as to decide if within this scotch brand, I particularly like any one more. Another purpose was to see if I can get Black Dog readily available on an emergency ;-)


So here I go to the shop and hurray, it is easily available! The prices of scotch are normally higher than whisky. Oh that brings me to the point of you know the difference between whiskey and scotch?

All Scotch is whiskey, but not all whiskey is Scotch. Scotch is whiskey made in Scotland. Scotch whisky is spelled without out the 'e'. Someone else says the British don't say Scotch, they just say whisky. There is some truth in that in so far as that if you ask for a whisky in Britain the assumption is that you want Scotch -- which is the local whisky. If a drinker wants a foreign whisky they will specify which one.

Hope now the difference is clear. Since Scotch is imported, the prices are higher due to taxes and input cost, but the quality and the flavours more than compensate for the prices.

Except 21 year old all other variants were available at my neighbourhood shop. Am sure if I go a little distance, I will be able to find the most premium variant too. Here are the current market price of the product:

Black Dog Centenary (8 year old): Rs 1200
Black Dog 12 year old: Rs 1600
Black Dog 18 year old: Rs 4500

I have all the three variants and will start tasting them soon. Hope to find out soon the pricing of 21 year old edition and add it to my collection too.

No comments:

Post a Comment